Thursday, October 17, 2013

Chicken Noodle Soup

It is starting to get cold outside.
Cold weather means comfort food for me.
One of my very favorites is homemade Chicken Noodle Soup.
My Mom has been making it
ever since I can remember, and she taught me how easy it is!
I said to Blake as I was making it
"what do you think the chances are the kids will eat this?"
He told me "slim to none."
(My kids don't like anything unless it is Chicken nuggets or Pizza.)
But, they loved the soup and even ate the whole bowl.

Chicken Noodle Soup

*Chicken- Thawed
*Noodles (my fav are the homemade style egg noodles. Found in freezer section at Walmart)
*Carrots-Chopped
*Brocolli-Cut in bite size pieces
*whatever veggies on hand. I would normally put in celery and onion, but my family doesn't like either.

I like to make my broth from scratch. It's really not too hard, but does take a little longer. Put your chicken in a big soup pot and cover in water. Season with Season Salt, Pepper, a little Garlic Powder. I also add onion powder because my family doesn't like the real thing, but I still like the taste. Bring to a boil and turn down the heat to a steady boil for 45 min-1 hour. You can add a boulion cube if you think it needs more flavor. Sometimes when boiling chicken you get a froth on top, spoon it off. Take out the chicken and shread or chop into bite size pieces. Add in the carrots, onion, celery and noodles boil for about 10-15 min, these take a little longer to cook through. Put chicken back in, add the brocolli and boil for about 5 minutes. 

I served with toasted buttered bread. My kids loved dipping the bread in the broth. 

What "Comfort Food" is your favorite?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...